Hevesy Laboratory

The aim of the Hevesy Laboratory is to:

  • Carry out research, development and production of radioactive drugs for diagnostics and treatment
  • Produce radioactive isotopes for use in research and with applications in industry and medicine

The Hevesy Laboratory is named after George de Hevesy (1885 – 1966), who was awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1943 for his work on the use of isotopes as tracers in the study of chemical processes.

At the Hevesy Laboratory, radioactive isotopes are produced by means of a biomedical cyclotron donated by The John and Birthe Meyer Foundation in 2004.

Currently the work includes:

  • Development of new diagnostic PET (Positron Emission Tomography) tracers based on F-18
  • Development of new diagnostic radiopharmaceuticals based on short-lived radioactive metals ions conjugated to biomolecules.
  • Development and production of new radionuclide therapy agents.
  • Research in labelling chemistry to expand the radiochemist’s toolbox

Further details concerning the activities and staff members at the Hevesy Laboratory are found to the left.

 

Contact

Dennis Ringkjøbing Elema
DTU Nutech
+45 46 77 53 31

Inauguration

The Hevesy Laboratory was inaugurated in May 2005 and is named in honour of the Nobel Laureate George de Hevesy, father of the isotope tracer principle.

The John and Birthe Meyer Foundation has donated the cyclotron that has made the project possible.